Sunday, May 5, 2024

Sandy Seed Library News - May 2024

 

Happy May, Gardeners!


I am so excited that it is finally May because there are a handful of events I have been looking forward to! 

Upcoming Events

Spring Celebration

May 18th from 10am to 1pm

Location: Mt Hood Farmers Market


Backyard Chickens presented by OSU Master Gardener Cindy Manselle

May 18th at 1pm

Location: Sandy Library Community Room


Special Shout Out:

The Spring Garden Fair - put on by the Clackamas Co. Master Gardener Association.

I look forward to this event every year!

May 4 & 5 opening at 9am

Location: Clackamas County Fairgrounds in Canby

World Bee Day: May 20th


One of my favorite aspects of our seed library community is the desire to share resources. As I started to dive deeper into education around mason bees, one of our members shared a resource they use when it comes to supplying mason and leafcutter bees to their garden. 


At the moment, I am not in a position to rent bees for my garden, but I was delighted to see the vast amount of education this company supplies on their site and I thought some of you might be interested in learning more: https://rentmasonbees.com/news/


Additionally, our very own Seed Library member, Heather Michet, shared her pollinator watering hole (picture inserted). Using rocks has been a common practice of mine, but I had never considered adding moss to the water dish. I love this idea as it offers an additional layer of protection from drowning.

Sandy Seed Library Members' Content

Some of our members have YouTube channels that are dedicated to their gardening journey. I got permission to share them with you all if you are interested:


Heather Michet has two playlists: Plants and Gardening/Homesteading that are filled with videos tackling many subjects of interest - from pollinators to native plants to soil types and tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/@HeatherMichet/playlists


The Ryan Family Farm is a local family that has decided to share their journey as they turn their garden into a small farm.

http://www.youtube.com/@ryanfamilyfarm21

No comments:

Post a Comment